Thursday, September 20, 2018

Speaking about Global Warming with dad

“Daddy”, I start to say, reading an article on the smartphone, “new petrol and diesel car sales in Europe must be phased out before 2030 if the auto sector is to play its part in holding global warming to the Paris agreement’s 1.5C goal…
“What’s the Paris agreement, Liza?”
“The pact by European countries to limit the emissions increase to 1.5°C, since this would significantly reduce risks and the impacts of climate change…”
“What’s this climate change, honey?”

“Dad?! Climate change… I was reading about global warming, right?”
Global warming? What’s that?”

“Okay, I quote from Wiki: Global warming is the observed century-scale rise in the average temperature of the Earth's climate system and its related effects.”
“And it’s bad, isn’t it?
“Are you kidding me, dad?”
“No, I’m not…”

“Listen, daddy, I’m also reading this from that article: A draft report by the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change makes clear that 2C of warming would expose around 10 million more people in coastal areas to floods, storm surges and crop damage than 1.5C would. Global sea levels would also rise by an extra 10cm, heatwaves would be longer, extreme weather events stronger, economic growth lower, while crop yields and water availability would substantially decline…
“I see, but you said 1.5, right? The news says 2, not 1.5…”
“And so?”
“So, we can relax. We’ve got still 0.5C to enjoy…”

“Okay, stop the car, dad!”
“What?”
“Stop the car and give me the key.”
Because I think this might be the only solution to the problem...




 Read also Stories and News

No comments:

Post a Comment